Ask The Principal

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Textbook post is still in the making....

The textbook post is taking awhile. Since the article I referenced a few days ago mentioned a California textbook hearing I have been spending some time at the California Department of Education website (the link will take you to a search on textbook criteria) and examining official state criteria for textbook adoptions. It is really both interesting and boring at the same time.

I have also gotten a few spam comments so I have added the anti-spam measures.

I will have something to post on textbooks by this weekend. It will be more interesting and not as boring as reading all those criteria.

2 Comments:

  • I've been reading your blog for a while now, and find this subject of textbook adoptions very interesting! I'm wondering if you have had any experience with the NSF math curriculum, Connected Mathematics in Context (high school levels) or the middle school levels of it? I've been reading up on it lately, because I have a daughter who is going to be 9th grade next year. This math curriculum seems to be failing miserably! These kids who've used it for 3-6 years are unable to even pass the placement exams for college math. Very disconcerting. My daughter will NOT be attending high school next year, at least not full time. Possibly not any of the other years either, for that matter. Keep up the great information, you've given me some great insight.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, June 01, 2006 11:53:00 PM  

  • Perkidawn...

    I am not familiar with Connected Math.., but I have gone to their website to check out what they say about themselves, which should be all wonderful :-)...As I go through the textbook series I hope to help parents focus on the real issues of the textbook matter in order to help them with their own choices later.

    Bill

    By Blogger The Principal, at Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home