Ask The Principal

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Textbook Adoptions

I received a timely email from a reader (Thanks "R") about textbook adoptions. It is amazing the religious zeal felt from those intent on "spreading the word" to the kids in school. Again, raising the children in the nurture and admonition of .....anything Godless (generally known as "the criteria"). You can read the article here. Timely for me because my district is in the middle of an adoption right now. I copied and passed out the article to teachers in the committee who found it insightful. It was nicely written and I was surprised at how well it caught the candor of the state board of education members. What is scary is that these people are so self-righteous that they don't realize how ridiculous they sound.

It was my intent to write a little more in depth on the matter but it is crunch time before graduation and its long hours for students, parents, teachers, and me of course. That is another huge drama in itself. I wrote about that a few minutes ago, but lost it. I'll chalk it up to Providence because it didn't turn out coherently.

Posts will be shorter and less frequent until the human drama of "get everything done at the last minute so I can graduate with my peers" plays out on June 8th.

4 Comments:

  • I wasn't sure what a relevant post on your blog would be to put this link, so I just thought I'd drop it in the most recent.

    I wanted to point you in the direction of an article at Oneway Purpose where there is currently a very interesting debate going on in the comments, over homeschooling and its "culture". I link to it in my post where I comment on some of the things written in the original article by Don Wilkey: http://www.homesteadblogger.com/Affected/14987/the+dumbest+attack+on+homeschooling%3F.html

    I would love to see you get involved in the comments over there and see what your take on all of this is, as I think you would find it as interesting as I do.

    Have a blessed day!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, May 24, 2006 7:47:00 PM  

  • Thanks for the heads-up Countrygoalie (there's a story behind that name I'm sure..:-) I stopped by and put my 2 cents in.

    By Blogger The Principal, at Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:29:00 AM  

  • Thanks for you comment Bob. I appreciated it.

    Oneway Purpose now links to you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, May 25, 2006 6:04:00 AM  

  • Thanks for the link. A very interesting article!

    Bill

    By Blogger The Principal, at Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home