Ask The Principal

Monday, May 08, 2006

Why I'm here...

I've been a teacher, an assistant principal, and now a principal. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly in public education. I've been a participant in "emerging educational alternative methods" (namely a high tech classroom in a mall, 3 doors down from the main entrance to Sears and across from the Radio Shack), a union representative, an elected delegate to the NEA national convention, a union negotiator, member of various school district and county level committees, a trainer of trainers, 504 coordinator, and have been up to my eyeballs in it since 1987. I've done all this to be "salt and light" in the public school system. And I am a homeschool dad. I can say this. God is sovereign. He has had me in the palm of His hand from the getgo (vernacular for "from before the foundations of the world"). I am at the point now where the message for me is to say .........
GET YOUR KIDS OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL AND EDUCATE THEM AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I'll tone it down a bit, use a "cooler" color, and allow those that think I'm too enthusiastically reactionary time to catch up.

Nevertheless the transistion from public to homeschool can be a shocker, but not nearly the shocker that comes with the realization of what happens in the minds and souls of our children in the public school system in a post-modern, pagan friendly system.


This isn't an easy decision to make if one hasn't made it yet. Most want to make informed, biblical, well thought out decisions about this. I hope to be able to provide informative articles, personal anecdotes and responses from the inside of the public school system to those contemplating an exit of their children out of the public school system. To do so with informative advice from someone who has "been there and done that" can be helpful. Plenty of pundits can speak to the issue, but few from my perspective.

3 Comments:

  • I saw your blog and I think you are light years ahead of me. Talk about novice! I'm going to have to get a book "HTML for the perfectly daft" :-) Hope you find my observations particularly helpful in your situation.

    Bill

    By Blogger The Principal, at Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:13:00 AM  

  • You are a brave man! It's nice to see you here, though!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, May 12, 2006 1:38:00 AM  

  • Welcome to the blogosphere! I'm a homeschooling mom. I have 6 kids. My oldest attends our public school's digital academy where he only goes two mornings a week and the rest of the time he is home taking classes on the computer. My next up is in 7th. We are thinking about what to do for high school. I love the opportunities that are seemingly "available" at our local visual and performing arts high school. However he is a sweet boy and I do not want him to lose that. Of course it might be a nonissue since we didn't pass our latest levy.

    Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more of your insights!

    By Blogger Elena LaVictoire, at Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home